Hey B2B marketers – want to really understand your customers? Not just as a buyer, but in their full glory as businesses?
I asked colleagues, partners and customers what they wished their suppliers asked them – and they came back with great suggestions. Note these are all “big picture questions” – not “when are you sending me that PO?”
So the next time you sit down with one of your customers, ask some of the following open ended questions. 
- How much time do you have for me today? (Every customer meeting should start with this question)
- As you look ahead to the next year in your business, what are you most excited about?
- What’s keeping you up at night? Forget about buying from us – what are the biggest problems you’re trying to solve in the next 30-60 days?
- Six months from now, where do you need to be as a business or a department? Why?
- What are the biggest changes you are seeing in your industry?
- Are your customers changing how they use your products or services? How and Why?
- Is there a vendor that exceeded your expectations in the last 6 months? How?
- Is there something our competitors do well we can learn from?
- Is there something we or other vendors do that drives you crazy?
- Do you enjoy doing business with us?
- Do our products or services make a difference to your bottom line? Why or why not?
Let me know if you have any favorites you would add.
 Excellent online materials I want to acknowledge as sources for this post: